This brew began its life as part of a four gallon plain mead that I made so I could split it into 4 separate one gallon flavors. I started with 7.75 pounds of honey, which got divvied up after fermentation had completed, so the numbers might be a bit odd.
Ingredients – Primary
- 1.9375 lbs. Wildflower honey
- Water to 1 gallon
- Yeast Nutrients – Staggered Addition
Ingredients – Secondary
- 1 cup Key Lime juice
- Several tablespoons of Mint tincture (mint leaves soaked in vodka)
Original Gravity: 1.056
Final Gravity: 0.992
ABV: Approximately 8.4%
A tip on making the tincture, don’t use the bottom shelf vodka. While it should age out over time, it adds a very strong “hot” alcohol nose and taste that will overpower most of the nice flavor and taste you’ve been cultivating. It lead me to not including as much of the tincture as I could have, which lead to a much more subtle mint flavor than I would have preferred.
Luckily, the lime came through nicely. It has a nice, refreshing, fruity flavor. And the hint of lime makes an appearance in the finish. It makes for a great summery drink. Definitely one I’ll be revisiting.